Assistance Programs


THAW has the following utility assistance program available. Please review all eligibility criteria before starting your application.

Get Help with your Utility Bill at THAW

Beginning October 1, 2018, THAW can assist you in applying for the State Emergency Relief (SER) program through our partnership with the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) MiBridges SER Application.

Also beginning October 1, THAW will enroll eligible DTE Energy, Consumers Energy and SEMCO Energy customers in an affordable rate plan program which can lower the amount of your monthly bill and relieve a portion of your arrears over a two-year period. You must meet eligibility requirements.

You can then explore your way to self-sufficiency with THAW’s Self Sufficiency Services that enable you to become or move toward becoming energy self-sufficient, including helping pay energy bills on time, assisting in budgeting for energy expenses, as well as learning how to use energy to reduce your overall bill. Services include energy education, financial wellness and referral(s) to additional services based on a personal household needs assessment.

Steps to Apply

  • 1. Apply for State Emergency Relief (SER) through Michigan Department of Health and Human Services MDHHS one of three ways.

    • A. In person at THAW’s office at 535 Griswold Suite 200, Detroit, MI 48226. We have computers available for you to use to apply. THAW has completed training with MDHHS to help you apply using the MI Bridges system.

    • B. Online at

    • C. Mail or deliver paper application; available at your local MDHHS office, THAW’s office or printed from the MDHHS website.

  • 2. Complete THAW’s application for an Affordable Payment Plan and/or Self Sufficiency Services which can help you lower you monthly payments as well as start your journey to self-sufficiency.
    Click Here For THAW's Application for Assistance

  • 3. Select THAW as your referral partner while completing your SER application.

  • 4. Once your SER application is approved by MDHHS, THAW will complete your enrollment.

If you have further questions please call THAW’s Utility Assistance Center 8:30a.m.-5:00p.m. M-F at 800-866-8429, and a specialist will be able to assist you.

For additional information contact your utility provider or United Way 2-1-1 to ask about other resources that may be available. To help you use less energy and reduce your energy costs, use these 30 low-cost, no-cost tips around your house this winter.

DTE Energy – Payment Assistance Resources
Consumers Energy CARE – Consumers Affordable Resource for Energy Program
SEMCO Energy – Payment Assistance Resource Page
United Way 2-1-1
Detroit Water and Sewerage Department – Customer Service

THAW works in partnership with agencies across the state of Michigan to distribute utility assistance. THAW programs are open to income-eligible Michigan residents. Prior to seeking THAW assistance, we encourage you to contact your utility provider to see what options may be available to you.
  • DTE Energy – 1-800-477-4747
  • SEMCO Energy – 1-800-624-2019
  • Detroit Water & Sewerage Department – 1-313-267-8000
  • Consumers Energy – 1-800-477-5050
  • Michigan Gas Utilities – 1-800-401-6402