THAW has multiple utility assistance programs available. Please see the choices below for one that best meets your needs.
DTE Low-income Self-sufficiency
- The DTE LSP offers a reduced monthly payment based on your income.
- The program will pay the difference between the plan amount and monthly bill.
- Eventual past due balance forgiveness.
- No future late fees and service protection from shutoff while enrolled.
Impacting Health through Energy Assistance to Low-Income
Families Program (iHEAL Families)
SEMCO Energy Assistance
Emergency Energy Assistance
- $850 for natural gas, wood, and other fuel,
- $850 for electricity, and
- $1,200 for deliverable fuels limited to LP gas/propane, fuel oil, and coal.
DTE Customers and
Customer Assistance Events
THAW is conducting Utility Bill Assistance events in a neighborhood near you. Please click on the links below to see when we'll be in your neighborhood.
For additional information you contact your utility provider or United Way 2-1-1 to ask about other resources that may be available. To help you use less energy and reduce your energy costs, use these 30 low-cost, no-cost tips around your house this winter.
DTE Energy – Payment Assistance Resources
Consumers Energy CARE – Payment Assistance Resource Page at United Way Jackson County
SEMCO Energy – Payment Assistance Resource Page
United Way 2-1-1
Detroit Water and Sewerage Department – Customer Service
THAW works in partnership with agencies across the state of Michigan to distribute utility assistance. THAW programs are open to income-eligible Michigan residents. Prior to seeking THAW assistance, we encourage you to contact your utility provider to see what options may be available to you.
- DTE Energy – 1-800-477-4747
- SEMCO Energy – 1-800-624-2019
- Detroit Water & Sewerage Department – 1-313-267-8000
- Consumers Energy – 1-800-477-5050
- Michigan Gas Utilities – 1-800-401-6402