skip to main content

Utility Assistance

Do you need energy assistance?

THAW works with agencies across Michigan to provide emergency energy and utility help to households facing financial difficulties. THAW has multiple utility assistance programs available which are open to income-eligible Michigan residents. However, before seeking THAW assistance, we encourage you to contact your utility provider to see what options may be available to you.

Grants to households are approved at the discretion of THAW staff and our agency partners. Find out about Individual Programs below.

For utility bill help, call THAW at 800-866-THAW (8429)


Current Assistance Programs


THAW administers the Michigan Energy Assistance Program (MEAP). MEAP provides direct bill payment assistance for heat and electricity for low-income Michigan residents. Families must complete a two-step process to qualify for MEAP funds.

Enbridge Fueling Futures Water Assistance Program

Michigan residents who meet eligibility requirements can receive water assistance through the Enbridge Fueling Futures Water Assistance Program.

This program is made possible by a generous grant from Enbridge.

Referral Assistance Programs

THAW can only help you once you apply through these portals

COVID Emergency Rental Assistance (CERA)

Program application period to end June 30, 2022

Renters and landlords should apply as soon as possible before the deadline. After June 30, residents who haven’t previously applied should call the Homeless Action Network of Detroit, United Way, or your local Community Action Agency.

Emergency Solutions Grant

Residents of Detroit at risk of homelessness may contact Coordinated Assessment Model (CAM) to discuss their needs including utility assistance.


Health care providers, community agencies, DTE Energy and Consumers Energy work with THAW to refer customers with chronic health problems.