skip to main content

Michigan Energy Assistance Program (MEAP)

Due to a lack of funding, THAW is unable to accept any new MEAP applications at this time. Please check back – when additional funding is available, we will start accepting applications again. If you still need MEAP assistance, please contact 211 for further information and resources.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I qualify for State Emergency Relief (SER)?

In general, eligibility is based on the number of individuals in your household, your monthly income and your countable cash assets over $15,000 (except for those applying for burial services). Some assets such as homestead, one vehicle, personal and household goods are excluded.

What are the income qualifications for SER?

Applicants must have an income less than 150 percent of the Federal Poverty Level. Please refer to the chart on the SER page.

I was denied SER, am I still eligible for any programs THAW offers?

If you are denied SER, THAW encourages you to still complete THAW’s application for assistance. THAW has other programs available that you may qualify for.

I need help completing my THAW application for assistance!

Call 1-800-866-8429 and one of our Utility Assistance Center associates can help guide you through the application process.