Assistance Programs

Utility Payment Assistance

The Heat and Warmth Fund (THAW) wants to make it easier for you to get the help you need to afford your utility bill.  In most cases, you will need to complete and be approved for State Emergency Relief (SER) as well as complete one of the applications below from THAW.


1) Apply for State Emergency Relief (SER) through MDHHS:

A. You can apply in person at THAW’s office B. Online at C. At your local MDHHS office

2) Select THAW as your “Navigation/Referral Partner” on the SER application.

3) Complete THAW’s Energy Assistance Application: (located below)

A. Online at  B. Mail to 535 Griswold St., Suite 200, Detroit MI 48226  C. In person at THAW’s office

4) Once your SER application is approved by MDHHS, THAW will assist you in completing your enrollment with all available programs you may qualify for.

Download and Print


  • Approved for State Emergency Relief (SER)
  • If you have a SER that requires a co-payment
  • Or if you are behind on your payment plan
  • You participate in energy reduction education
  • You require restoration of utility service

Eligibility Requirements

Income Requirements