skip to main content

Utility Assistance


We are accepting applications for MEAP (Michigan Energy Assistance Program) for the 2023-2024 heating season. (If you need to apply for an SER – State Emergency Relief – click here)

We are also accepting applications for Water Assistance through our MiWATER Program.*

*If applying for MiWATER, please be sure to answer ALL questions on the FIRST PAGE of the application.

List of needed documents:

  • Utility Bill (both front and back of bill)
  • Applicant’s Social Security card and social security numbers for all household members
  • Applicant’s Driver’s License or State ID
  • Proof of last 30 days of income
  • Verification of child documents (school records, birth certificate, etc.) (Brightmoor Utility Assistance program only)
  • Your SER Approved Decision Notice from MDHHS in account holder’s name or a resident of the home (MEAP Assistance only)
  • Copy of lease or deed which shows water bill responsibilities (MiWATER Program only)

If you are interested in applying for MEAP, MiWATER, or other THAW Programs, please call/text THAW at 1-800-866-8429. Or click below to begin your application.


Note: THAW is not able to accept walk-in or in person appointments on Fridays.

Attention: In addition to calling our toll-free number, THAW customers can connect with a representative via text.  Text “THAW” to 800-866-8429.

Representatives are available Monday-Friday 8 AM – 5 PM.


Do you need energy assistance?

THAW works with agencies across Michigan to provide emergency energy and utility help to households facing financial difficulties. THAW has multiple utility assistance programs available which are open to income-eligible Michigan residents. However, before seeking THAW assistance, we encourage you to contact your utility provider to see what options may be available to you.

Grants to households are approved at the discretion of THAW staff and our agency partners. Find out about Individual Programs below.

For utility bill help, call THAW at 800-866-THAW (8429)

Assistance Programs


THAW administers the Michigan Energy Assistance Program (MEAP). MEAP provides direct bill payment assistance for heat and electricity for low-income Michigan residents. Families must complete a two-step process to qualify for MEAP funds.

Brightmoor Energy & Water Assistance Program

Residents of Brightmoor who meet eligibility requirements can receive energy and water bill assistance through the Brightmoor Energy & Water Assistance Program.

This program is made possible by a generous grant from the Max M. and Marjorie S. Fisher Foundation.

MiWATER (Water Assistance Through Efficiency and Repairs) Program

We are excited and grateful to partner with the Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) and MI-HOPE to implement THAW’s MiWATER (Michigan Water Assistance Through Efficiency and Repairs) program. This program supports healthy housing for financially insecure Michigan residents by maintaining water services. MiWATER has four components and is being implemented in two phases.

Referral Assistance Programs

THAW can only help you once you apply through these portals


Health care providers, community agencies, DTE Energy and Consumers Energy work with THAW to refer customers with chronic health problems.